Whatever your destination, a vacation provides plenty of opportunities for fitness. The key? Fit physical activity into your plans ? and make it fun!
- Consider a vacation centered on an activity such as hiking, biking, rafting, backpacking, golfing, yoga or swimming at a beach.
- Choose lodgings that offer a pool, fitness facility, spa or guided activities.
- When making reservations, ask about activities appropriate for your family.
- Inquire about nearby walking or running paths.
- Pack a pair of comfortable walking shoes, a bathing suit and sunscreen.
- If you’re renting equipment, make sure it’s well maintained and meets safety standards.
- If you rent a bicycle or in-line skates, include a helmet and pads.
- Wear the right clothes. Dress in layers if necessary.
- Explore the sights by walking, biking or hiking.
- Try something fun you’ve never done? such as snorkeling, water skiing or kayaking.
- Walk to restaurants, shops and attractions.
- Go out dancing in the evening.
- On a road trip, take breaks for short walks, a game of catch or stretching.
- At airports, walk the terminal.
- Try camping, and carry your gear.
- If the weather’s bad, consider indoor activities, such as in-line skating or walking through a museum.
- Consider a walking tour.
- End the day with a dip in the hotel pool.
Be sure to introduce children to new activities gently, and build in time for naps for younger ones.